Bulldozer

Yeah, Compaq was a good company for a OEM. Going back Compaq and eMachine should have merged. Let Gateway fall apart and folded on its own and told HP to screw off.

Edit
Another cool little story. Back in like 1984 and 1985. Jerry Sanders founder of AMD and Robert Noyce one of the founders of Intel (were friends at the time, both had come from Fairchild) were in talks of combining the two companies. Hardware profits had really hit rock bottom and they though combining the two companies, they had a better chance of survival competing with the japanese that were selling hardware at rock bottom prices. But the talks fell apart.

Last edited:
Thank goodness the merger between AMD and Intel fell apart. Where would be without AMD and Intel today? We would probably have processors about 25% as powerful as present day technology with about a $500 price tag on them.

Thank goodness the merger between AMD and Intel fell apart. Where would be without AMD and Intel today? We would probably have processors about 25% as powerful as present day technology with about a $500 price tag on them.

True, monopoly in any particular field is the always the worst for that field.

If I install an FX processor on my motherboard without updating the bios first what would happen?

If I install an FX processor on my motherboard without updating the bios first what would happen?

1. Not recognize the processor, but boot and run fine. Might have the set the speed and voltage manually.
2. Not recognize the processor, but being completely unstable.
3. Not boot at all.

1. Not recognize the processor, but boot and run fine. Might have the set the speed and voltage manually.
2. Not recognize the processor, but being completely unstable.
3. Not boot at all.

Or it may just work becuase the chipsets on current 3 boards are exactly the same as 3+. Your beloved AMD simply wants your money for black sockets.

Or it may just work becuase the chipsets on current 3 boards are exactly the same as 3+. Your beloved AMD simply wants your money for black sockets.

The AM3+ socket has higher wattage and amps support then the AMM2/+/3. But he was talking about bios support.

typical bigfella fanboyism.

your intel just wants an extra 15+ for the ability to overclock at all.

typical bigfella fanboyism.

your intel just wants an extra 15+ for the ability to overclock at all.
BS. ASAIK, you can overclock a nonK all day long using the FSB. What you are saying is the same as saying you need a 555/955/1090T to overclock a AMD.
Intel just doesn't officially support OC on a non k SB.

i know that, you just won't get nearly as far or easily with a non k, and for the amd ones, for the more expensive ones that are black, they also come with the higher clocks too so that's what they'd be priced even without the added overclocking/unlocked multiplier.

and btw i know about the fsb from my own overclocking adventures on this damn pentium pos.

Refer back to the previous statement by you.
johnnyp11 said:
for the ability to overclock at all
. Then you respond to being called with
johnny again said:
i know that, you just won't get nearly as far or easily with a non k

you have contradicted yourself. Think before you speak.

From what I understand, the non K versions FSB is pretty much not locked. So raising it will raise the PCI/SATA//PCIe bus, will freak out. But you can bump up the Turbo multiplier, looks like you can get around 4ghz.

The non-K series, from what I've heard, have their multiplyer locked to 3 units above. So I think you can squeeze a little more ghz out of them that way.
In regards to the FSB method, Intel don't reccomend OC-ing by more than 5% because at that point you will probably lose data from your SATA ports, I.E. your hard drive.
It's worth getting the K.

Back