Led fan help

BruceY

Hello. I have 4 raid max 120mm fans with the leds mounted in the circumference of the fan. They have 6 pin connectors. I bought a Comte case that didn’t come with the controller. I ordered a COOLMOON 6 pin controller. Except it’s different size. That was a bitter point I learned. The raidmax fans have plugs 15.5 mm wide. RAIDMAX no longer sells the controller for my fans. Haven’t had much luck hunting one down. So now I’m also researching ARGB fans that will work with the Coolmoon 6 pin controller I have. Prefer fans with leds around the circumference Any ideas which fans fit and I can use? I’ve built computers hobby since i386 was around. But this led and ARBG is all new to me. Any help is much appreciated. Thank You

I think Coolmoon uses a proprietary connector, but the pinout is +12v, GND, GND, Data/In, +5v, Data/Out. The first 2 are for the fan, the next 3 are basically ARGB. There are likely various youtube videos on how to connect whatever fan type you have to the 6 pin coolmoon header.

If you just want to buy a pack of fans, this looks correct https://www.newegg.ca/p/1YF-01CY-00002 but it might also include the controller again.

Last edited:
I think Coolmoon uses a proprietary connector, but the pinout is +12v, GND, GND, Data/In, +5v, Data/Out. The first 2 are for the fan, the next 3 are basically ARGB. There are likely various youtube videos on how to connect whatever fan type you have to the 6 pin coolmoon header.

If you just want to buy a pack of fans, this looks correct https://www.newegg.ca/p/1YF-01CY-00002 but it might also include the controller again.
You wouldn’t happen to know what the plugs are called that go into the 6 pin cool moon controller? And now I assume the 5 year old ARGB fans have a proprietary plug?

You wouldn’t happen to know what the plugs are called that go into the 6 pin cool moon controller? And now I assume the 5 year old ARGB fans have a proprietary plug?
There are a few raidmax connector options that I see. Does it look like this? https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/35-855-003-Z06.jpg, If so, the wires should be the same order as above.

The physical connector is probably an XH-6 which is a standard part and 15.7mm. When I say proprietary connector, I mean the pinout.

Are you saying the raidmax plug does not fit into the coolmoon port?

Right. The RaidMax fan ( that looks like your picture) has a plug 15.5 mm wide. The 6 pin connector on COOLMOON controller is some mm smaller. I haven’t measured it yet

Not offhand. I would guess it is essentially the same. The pins should have the same separation. It could be that you could cut/sand down some of the connector or you could remove the wires from the raidmax and slide them over the controller one at a time. Or find a controller that accepts the fans as is.

That part about fitting the fan plugs to fit Coolmoon controller sounds reasonable. I’ll look into that tomorrow as it’s late. As for controller that would work, I have asked 10-12 sellers on eBay who were selling controllers if my RM FANS WOULD FIT No luck. And raidmax told me they stopped making controller for my fans. That’s when I bought Coolmoon

I believe this is a similar enough connector type and how to removal the wires -
, if not he does show a few different types. Generally, it is pretty similar. The little metal end on the wire should slide over the pins on the controller fairly easily without touching, you will want to use tweezers to put it on. If you bend them while pulling, they might short. You could cover the outside in heat shrink to prevent any shorting, but if you are careful, it should be fine.

Hmmm. First picture is good news. Where it shows removable pins on the plug. Pardon my dirty fingers , just came in from weeding/ gardening. I typed in search engine “ Coolmoon 6 pin connectors”. And look at my results. I know I have to confirm they will fit. Coolmoon approx 13 mm wide. But right now I maybe able to swap plugs . . The current raidmax plugs have different spacing than Coolmoon. Will keep you in the loop as things develop. Thank You

Would it poss be a ZHR. JST TYPE? For the Coolmoon ? I have a data sheet I sent down to printer. Have to see

Well I read the data sheet Digikey is not mm. I think the coolmoon measures 10+mm x 3.5 or so mm. And digikey one is 12mm x 6mm. So I’m still searching

I’m waiting to hear back from China for the Measure the Jack to make confirm. And also here in state at Wally World For $7 I see the jack and wonder if I can change the jacks.

Attachments

• 409C7D8E-1E10-43CA-9B0D-9ABA7B3B85B6.png
    409C7D8E-1E10-43CA-9B0D-9ABA7B3B85B6.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 3
  • C0D49969-1EA9-4215-9E60-7548334A8367.png
    C0D49969-1EA9-4215-9E60-7548334A8367.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 4
To be honest, you might just want to buy stuff that you know works. Even if you have to sell what you have. A fan controller should have the same connectors fans have.

So are you saying order from China which I’m still waiting for confirmation. But at $1.27 each it may be worth it

I'm saying buy something that you know works. Buy new fans that have a common connector that will plug into a common fan controller.

Back