Overclocking Jargon

Angel.of.Death

OK guys, Im ready to overclock.

Im considering buying a PC with an E6600 (or E6400). I have 2 MOBO options:

*Asus P5W DH Deluxe – 975x Conroe
*Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 Conroe
Which do you think can overclock better?

Also, could you please explain these terms? I hope it will not only help me, but help other people who are almost ready to overclock.

THINGS THAT I DONT KNOW (PLEASE EXPLAIN)

*CPU Clock Ratio. I know this is the multiple of your FSB and Multiplier. I also know that you can raise your multiplier in order to overclock your CPU.
Since the E6600 is clocked at 2.4GHz, and the FSB is 1066Mhz, if my calculations are correct, the default multiplier is about 2.51, right? lets just say, I increase it to about 3.0. Then, the clock will go up to 3.1Ghz. Isnt that too much for one jump?

*CPU host frequency

*System Memory Multiplier

*(G)MCH OverVoltage Control

*FSB OverVoltage Control

THINGS THAT I DO KNOW (

*PCI Express frequency

*CPU Voltage Control

*DIMM OverVoltage Control

*PCI-E OverVoltage Control

*Memory Frequency

-------------------------------------------------------------
Is there a way to increase th clock of the CPU Mhz by Mhz? Or do you have to increase the host frequency only? How much overvoltage can a CPU really take?

Please HELP! Thanks a ton!

the problem with the multiplier tough... they are locked,.. you can lower them, but not put them higher than their default value.
Only the X6800 and the AMD FX series (of the recent CPU's) have unlocked multipliers... and they truly make you pay for that ;)

Since the E6600 is clocked at 2.4GHz, and the FSB is 1066Mhz, if my calculations are correct, the default multiplier is about 2.51, right?
Eh...not so much. the multiplier is 9 and you can only change it downward. I've only breifly proof read OC101 but I think all the things you asked about are explained there.

I have the P5W and am very impressed. The heatpipes on it do their job very well and the remote is just.. cool.

I have the AMD s939 version of that motherboard.. and I'm verry pleased with it. and there is a good chanse that for my next pc, i'll pick a Asus motherboard again :)

go for an Asus P5B Deluxe (965 chipset) or an Abit AW9D-MAX (975X) both are supposedly the best boards on either chipset....

all thought they cost £100+

The gigabyte board is the best option for overc locking, it has numerous built in features including the BIOS which definetly makes it less of a chore.

Since the E6600 is clocked at 2.4GHz, and the FSB is 1066Mhz, if my calculations are correct, the default multiplier is about 2.51, right?
Yet another victim to the cruel world of marketing. The FSB is not 1066Mhz, the FSB is 266.5 (to be precised) The 1066 comes from the CPU's being whats referred to as, "Quad-Pumped" hence the real FSB seems a lot higher. [266.5 x 4 = 1066Mhz] In reality you would never deal with that number at all, you would only ever manipulate the 266, thats the one you jack up bit by bit to overclock.

SCENARIO:

Initial FSB = 266
Initial Multi = 9x (locked)
Default clock = 2400Mhz

Jack the FSB up in increments of 5Mhz

New FSB = 270 (lets keep it as round numbers)
Multiplier = 9x (locked)
New clock = 2430Mhz

Skip a few steps and come to this

New FSB = 315Mhz
Multiplier = 9x (locked)
New Clock = 2835Mhz

Get the jist of it yet?

As you puch the FSB higher and higher the CPU will want to eat up more and more voltage, this is of course limited by the motherboard and is where you will then increase the CPU's core voltage (known as Vcore), looking at your post i gather you already know how to handle that bit.

Pushing it even further after that will require you to fiddle with RAM timings and dividers etc... this is where my knowlege becomes sketchy so to save from giving out wrong information ill stop there and let someone else takeover

Hope this helps, and dont forget to read the 101, its very helpful

dragon2309

is that guy still even in the forum
they're right though, intel has two real types of "fsb" one is the base clocks for the computer (266mhz) and one is the cpu's quad pumped base clock for communicating between the system ram and the cpu. (1066mhz)
e6300 has a multiplier of 266*7, the 6400 266*8, the 6600 266*9, the 6700 266*10, and the x6800 266*11 (default at least, i know that upward multiplier would come in useful).

of course, you can still overclock the lower processors by turning up the 266mhz base clock... for instance i overclock my 6300 from 266*7 to 267*7 and i just overclocked 7mhz. normally you turn the 266 number up about 3-10mhz at a time...

btw for a beginner i'd get an e6600, but if you get the e6400 make sure your northbridge has plenty of cooling... this is a problem for my rig since gigabyte uses passive coolers on their DS3 series, and i need to overvolt the northbridge because im running my quad pumped fsb over 1500mhz lol

OK, so the FSB is 'quad-pumped', eh?

So you only have an FSB of 266Mhz. Thanks so much for all your help.
Now can someone please tell me how to overclock RAM?

Also, how much can I overvolt the vcore without frying it? In some places, they say the max is +0.3V, but is it different for the E6600?

Thanks again

PS I have some aftermarket cooling, but im curious of how much you can overclock with the stock fan...

Last edited:
You can, but an unlocked multiplier OCs much faster and easier. When you change the multiplier all you stress is the CPU. Raising the FSB OCs more than just the CPU

Back