Is 600VA / 360 W UPS sufficient for 550W SMPS?

christy4290

Hi All,

Recently assembled a new PC and the specs as below:

Ryzen 5 5600G
ASUS Prime B450M-A||
Sandisk 240GB SSD, Seagate1 TB HDD
Cooler Master 550W SMPS
Corsair 8GB RAM
Benq 24 inch monitor
APC Back-UPS BX600C-IN

For the past 1 month, the APC UPS(600VA / 360 W) was working fine and I have connected only the CPU and monitor. The speakers were connected to a separate power source. From yesterday, it randomly shuts down and produces a continuous beep sound. I wonder if this is an issue with the UPS's battery or if it is unable to carry the load. So with the cables connected and the CPU not turned on but the monitor turned on I powered on the UPS. After say 5 or 6 minutes, it produces a continuous beep sound and hence I turned it off. What could be the issue here? The UPS is 4 years old. So I assume it's due for a battery replacement. Or should I buy a 1100 VA / 660 Watt UPS. Please advise. Thank you.

Last edited:
I had a APC UPS that would make an audible sound once a week. It was an old one too which most likely was the battery that was the issue. I didn't lose power to the devices though.

Does your UPS have a USB connection that you can plug into the PC so you can use the software to see what the error it's showing?

I did replace our own which was maybe $20 more than a replacement battery, and it is a much better one (CyberPower).

Unfortunately the UPS doesn't have a USB option. I assume it would be the battery's problem. But even if I replace the battery, it may work for a couple of months and I am afraid it will show the issue. And if that happens then I have to buy the new advanced version APC Back-UPS BX1100C-IN 1100VA / 660W, 230V which will be expense again. So, confused on which way to go with!!!

Usually the APC will have a phone jack cable with the USB end that goes to the computer :) At least the older ones did.

1718054657582.png

It looks like you have the standard USB one according to the model you mentioned:

1718054837720.png

Having said that, that model looks just like the one we had that went bad. I do believe that the battery is the issue. I am not sure how to check though. Maybe Batteries Plus (if you are in the US) could?

My Desktop specs:

Ryzen 5 5600G
ASUS Prime B450M-A||
Cooler Master 550W SMPS
Corsair 8GB RAM
Benq 24 inch monitor
APC Back-UPS BX600C-IN

My friend's Desktop specs:

Ryzen 7
ASUS Prime B450M-A||
Cooler Master 650W SMPS
Corsair 16GB RAM
Samsung 24 inch monitor
V Guard Slender Plus 600VA/360W
Nvidia Graphics Card 16 GB

He says his UPS works fine and supports the above specs. However when he play games, and when the power goes off it will last only 30 seconds.

So I assume I will need only APC Back-UPS BX600C-IN as the items in bold above are the ones that differ. Hence I think it will be the issue with the battery and ordering a new UPS of the same kind will fix the issue. What you think? Please reply soon.

Back