Bitlocker when trying to open in safe mode.

What is bitlocker and why is it trying to keep me from loading in safe mode? I have a software that requires safemode for a clean uninstall before trying to reinstall.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
If it's asking for a key then you will need to either temporarily suspend bitlocker, disable bitlocker, or download a copy of the recovery key when logged into Windows normal mode.

Couriant

What is BitLocker: It's an disk encryption that prevents the storage drive from being taken out of one machine and put it in another. This also includes going to safe mode.

What's it asking: It is asking for the recovery key that was created when it was turned on.

Where to find it: It depends, for a work provided machines, it is usually stored in Active Directory, which is what IT will have access to. For consumer machines, it is turned on by default on newer machines and the information is stored in the first Microsoft Account that was created when Windows was being installed. There is also an option to have it saved in a text file.

If you cannot find it: You will need to contact Microsoft for assistance.

Since it seems that you are able to access the machine under normal mode so Suspending the BitLocker would be the best option as if you turn it off, you may be waiting for some time if there is a lot of data to decrypt.

Note: if you do anything that will trigger BitLocker (i.e. BIOS update before suspending BitLocker), then you may have run into not being able to access the drive and only a reinstall would be viable. I would urge you to make sure you have the BitLocker key saved on your phone/paper/ something so you can get to it.

Haha I had this one, new PC auto updated its own BIOS without any sort of interaction and it wiped the TPM keys. At least there wasn't much on it lol
Sounds like a design flaw if it turns on you like that. Lol. It's a person computer. I don't anticipate the hard drive being removed without the rest of the computer.

What is BitLocker: It's an disk encryption that prevents the storage drive from being taken out of one machine and put it in another. This also includes going to safe mode.

What's it asking: It is asking for the recovery key that was created when it was turned on.

Where to find it: It depends, for a work provided machines, it is usually stored in Active Directory, which is what IT will have access to. For consumer machines, it is turned on by default on newer machines and the information is stored in the first Microsoft Account that was created when Windows was being installed. There is also an option to have it saved in a text file.

If you cannot find it: You will need to contact Microsoft for assistance.

Since it seems that you are able to access the machine under normal mode so Suspending the BitLocker would be the best option as if you turn it off, you may be waiting for some time if there is a lot of data to decrypt.

Note: if you do anything that will trigger BitLocker (i.e. BIOS update before suspending BitLocker), then you may have run into not being able to access the drive and only a reinstall would be viable. I would urge you to make sure you have the BitLocker key saved on your phone/paper/ something so you can get to it.
So message microsoft to get the key before attempting to suspend it just in case?

Couriant

Haha I had this one, new PC auto updated its own BIOS without any sort of interaction and it wiped the TPM keys. At least there wasn't much on it lol
Yikes! haha.. at least when Microsoft or (in my case Dell) goes to update the BIOS Firmware, it does suspend it... can't say for OEMs (asus, msi, etc)
So message microsoft to get the key before attempting to suspend it just in case?
Correct, but note if they do not have the keys, and you do not have them on a file, then you are SOL and will have to do a clean reinstall.

One user I was helping got lucky and had their keys sent to a different email address than the MS account the computer was signed in with...

Yikes! haha.. at least when Microsoft or (in my case Dell) goes to update the BIOS Firmware, it does suspend it... can't say for OEMs (asus, msi, etc)

Correct, but note if they do not have the keys, and you do not have them on a file, then you are SOL and will have to do a clean reinstall.

One user I was helping got lucky and had their keys sent to a different email address than the MS account the computer was signed in with...
When buying a computer from Dell in the future do you think I can request to not have bit locker on?

Does the encryption of a hard drive with bit locker slow down reading it?

Bit locker only really helps against physical theft of a drive?

Couriant

Microsoft is the that turns it on, but you can turn it off.

Bitlocker does not slow down the reading of the drive.

Correct, BitLocker is used to prevent data from being stolen. It’s recently been introduced to home users but has been around for a while on Enterprise machines.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
When buying a computer from Dell in the future do you think I can request to not have bit locker on?

Does the encryption of a hard drive with bit locker slow down reading it?

Bit locker only really helps against physical theft of a drive?
You can just turn it off yourself.

Microsoft is the that turns it on, but you can turn it off.

Bitlocker does not slow down the reading of the drive.

Correct, BitLocker is used to prevent data from being stolen. It’s recently been introduced to home users but has been around for a while on Enterprise machines.
Yes data protection, but I mean only for physical removal of drive? Or does it help against software and virus threats too?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes data protection, but I mean only for physical removal of drive? Or does it help against software and virus threats too?
Bitlocker is for protecting your own data. It has nothing to do with drive removal or virus threats. If bitlocker was enabled on a drive and you remove it from that system then you will not have access to the data on it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
But I was just saying it doesn't prevent the drive from being removed, just locks the data. All is good.

But I was just saying it doesn't prevent the drive from being removed, just locks the data. All is good.
Yes, but assuming there is zero percent chance of any hard drive being physically removed does bit locker offer protection within the computer? The computer remains intact.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Yes, but assuming there is zero percent chance of any hard drive being physically removed does bit locker offer protection within the computer? The computer remains intact.
As I noted, if bitlocker is enabled you cannot access the drive without the unlock code or unless you boot into Windows. So you can't crack the user password via hirens or access the data on the disk via a Linux Live instance. Your only option if you can't boot it is to wipe and reinstall Windows and lose all your data.

Couriant

Because of its nature, BitLocker can be good, but also a pain if your main computer dies and you need to get the data off. If you don't have the BitLocker Recovery Key, then a reimage with data loss is all you can do.

If you feel comfortable enough that your computer will not get stolen, then I would say turn BitLocker off to avoid some of the headaches that it can produce.

But that is your choice.