Google search shows bing results.....

Treefrog

I have set google as my default search engine on chrome but when ever I type a search on the address bar, I get the following warning and got shown the result from bing search.

anybody know how to fix it?

thank youScreenshot 2024-03-31 123305.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have it set as google search, then you wouldn't be shown searches from bing. Something is going on for sure. Can you show screenshots of your settings? You might want to download and run Malwarebytes free and make sure you don't have any malware related issues.

Treefrog

also I forgot to mention.

Majority of the time when I turn off the computer via windows menu, it turns it self back on after couple minutes.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Click the 3 dots to the right of those other search engines and delete them if you don't want to use them. Not saying that will fix your issue though.

Majority of the time when I turn off the computer via windows menu, it turns it self back on after couple minutes
Go into your bios settings and check the wake on features and disable them. You might see the following entries.

1. keyboard
2. mouse
3. lan

I would still suggest doing a malwarebytes scan.

Also, are you using the free or paid version of Avast? Avast used to be really good and has gone downhill in the last many years. I would suggest using something else even if its the default windows defender.

beers

Staff member
I mean you can add an exception. Probably not the best idea, it doesn't really seem to be a legitimate resource for anything. I'd just zero it out in the hosts file or something. I also ditched Avast years ago as it's just a racket.

Treefrog

This is a work computer (POS) I will check the wake feature tonight after we close.

But the search thing is really bugging me, bing search result looks totally different from google search results, more importantly, bing search result are not very relevant to what i am looking for.

Is AVG any good compare to windows defender now?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
AVG is crap, especially the free version. It keeps saying there are things wrong with your system just so you'll buy the paid version. Bitdefender has a free version and it doesn't nag you, at least it didn't when I had it. I would just recommend using Windows Defender and using Malwarebytes as an on demand scanner.

Couriant

In this day in age, Windows Security (Defender) is sufficient enough along with MalwareBytes.

To confirm, is it for only that website, or a lot of sites?