Increasing the speed of software installation

slow user23

Hello
Which piece of hardware is effective in increasing the speed of installing various software and reducing the waiting time for complete installation?

Couriant

To expand on JohnB's HDD option - Hard drives come as a mechanical (platter) drive or memory (SSD). If your computer has an mechanical drive, then that's what you would definitely want to change if possible.

slow user23

Hello
I have three laptop models as follows:
1. Cpu Intel 4310m
ram 8 ddr3
ssd 256
2. Cpu 7300u
ram 8 ddr4
Ssd256
3. cpu 4940mx
(ram 16 ddr3(2*4g +8g
ssd256)
I install or extract the simple and similar software in all three systems at the same time. System No. 1 is faster than the two systems, and it takes at least half of the time for the two systems to start installing until it is complete or the file is extracted from the zip mode, because it Even though two of them have newer processors, their speed is lower, in what cases can it be??

Couriant

Would help a little if you provided the make, model, and serial number of the laptops :) (the serial number only will help show what was in the configuration of the machines originally and the age, no personal info is shown)

Just because a CPU is newer does not necessarily mean it's automatically better. To confirm you have these 3?

1: Intel Core i5-4310M @ 2.70GHz
2: Intel Core i5-7300U @ 2.60GHz
3: Intel Core i7-4940MX @ 3.10GHz

According to CPU Benchmark, the 4940MX should be running more efficiently. Considering that has 16GB too (unknown specs), that machine should be better at handling processes. One of the first things to check is to see what is running at the time of the install, to make sure nothing else is taking up resources while running the setup. (Task Manager)

You didn't mention if they are all Windows 10, Windows 11, or mixture, or if they are updated... Also check for virus/malware.

You didn't mention if they all have similar software installed, or if they are different, i.e. Computer 1 is barely used and only for web surfing while Computer 2 is used for gaming while Computer 3 is used for Video Editing...

slow user23

Would help a little if you provided the make, model, and serial number of the laptops :) (the serial number only will help show what was in the configuration of the machines originally and the age, no personal info is shown)

Just because a CPU is newer does not necessarily mean it's automatically better. To confirm you have these 3?

1: Intel Core i5-4310M @ 2.70GHz
2: Intel Core i5-7300U @ 2.60GHz
3: Intel Core i7-4940MX @ 3.10GHz

According to CPU Benchmark, the 4940MX should be running more efficiently. Considering that has 16GB too (unknown specs), that machine should be better at handling processes. One of the first things to check is to see what is running at the time of the install, to make sure nothing else is taking up resources while running the setup. (Task Manager)

You didn't mention if they are all Windows 10, Windows 11, or mixture, or if they are updated... Also check for virus/malware.

You didn't mention if they all have similar software installed, or if they are different, i.e. Computer 1 is barely used and only for web surfing while Computer 2 is used for gaming while Computer 3 is used for Video Editing...
Hello
All three laptop models are from Dell brand Laptop number 3 is model precision4800, I tested with the same software (Office only Word and Excel 2019) on all three models from the beginning of installation to the end by taking the exact time. And no other software or program was running during installation ??

slow user23

What model of SSD's do you have? Some SATA models are just junk and will cause more issues than anything.
All three systems have hard drives with SATA interface
Can system number 4 appear better in terms of speed and execution of simple programs? 4: cpu:8145u
Ramddr4 16g
Ssd m.2 256

Couriant

Once again, having the information about the whole computer will help.

If they are SATA chances are they are not SSD. Dell still uses mechanical drives with SATA connections so it is hard to say without all the information

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All three systems have hard drives with SATA interface
Can system number 4 appear better in terms of speed and execution of simple programs? 4: cpu:8145u
Ramddr4 16g
Ssd m.2 256
Again, we would need to know the exact model number of SSD's you have. Some have terrible performance. Also, if your system hasen't been freshed install of the OS lately, it could be corrupted. You also may have malware on your system or just need to run ccleaner to get rid of all the crap files on the system. There are many possibilities that may cause poor system performance.

slow user23

Hello

A strange case, I installed Office 2021 completely on MSI and Dell laptops. The start-to-finish time for laptop number 1(dell) was about 90 seconds with Windows 10, but for laptop number 2 it took about 180 seconds with Windows 11??

1. Dell latitude 3500
Cpu 8145u
Ram 8 ddr4
Ssd m.2

2.msi Thin GF63 12VE-i7​

Cpu 12650h
Ram 16 ddr5
Ssd m.2 nvme

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of things could be slowing it down. You could have more junk running on one then the other or windows may be corrupt or you just need to spend timing doing system maintenance. The hdd/ssd could be starting to die.

Couriant

Hello

A strange case, I installed Office 2021 completely on MSI and Dell laptops. The start-to-finish time for laptop number 1(dell) was about 90 seconds with Windows 10, but for laptop number 2 it took about 180 seconds with Windows 11??

1. Dell latitude 3500
Cpu 8145u
Ram 8 ddr4
Ssd m.2

2.msi Thin GF63 12VE-i7​

Cpu 12650h
Ram 16 ddr5
Ssd m.2 nvme
There is no issue here as there are some other facts that could be in play here. Especially now that Microsoft is pushing ads within Windows for example. Now if it was 10-15 minutes (which is the norm for older machines) on a new machine then potentially there could be a problem if it was consistent with other software.

You can try Safe Mode with Networking: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...4-1ce4-b3e5e56fe234#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

Or try a clean boot to see if anything in the background is causing the issues.

This is kind of silly.
Indeed. I think this thread needs to end. Sounds like the OP is looking for something that is not there.