General Help With A PC - Removing From Work Domain

Witterings

Didn't quite know what to use as a title as there didn't seem anything that "summarised" what I was trying to do.

I've an old PC that's been in storage for 6+ years, it was attached to a work domain, I still have the login details but that was just as a user to am highly restricted on anything I can do with it as it's "locked down" and can't do anything like update Chrome which isn't usable at the moment and I can't remember the administrators login details.

Is there any way I can do something to make this a stand alone PC as opposed to being tied to a work domain, part of my reason is to see if it's upgradeable as it's running XP Pro and if not I guess it's got no use so will end up in a landfill site which seems a shame.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can remove it from the work domain but since its running xp, that means it's way old and not able to be upgraded to anything decent. Max ram for xp for most machines was 2gb and that's no where near enough to run any new OS.

Couriant

Is this the HP Proliant that you mentioned in another thread?

You should be able to change from Domain to Workstation without any admin credential or domain credentials, but as notated, it's not going far unless you are looking to do Linux.

beers

Staff member
Per the other thread I'd just dump the array from the configuration in the controller and make a new one.