Why does my controller keep disconnecting from Steam when I power off my computer?

JohnJSal

I'm using a Switch Pro Controller. Basically what I have to do is reconnect the controller to my PC every time I want to play my game, because it seems like after putting my PC to sleep (or turning it off), Steam no longer detects that the controller is connected when it comes back on.

In the Bluetooth settings it still shows that the controller is either "Paired" or "Connected" (not sure what the difference is), but if I go into the Steam settings under "Controller," it says "No controller detected."

I can't find any way to get it reconnected without completely unpairing the controller from the PC, re-pairing it, and then Steam will detect it again, until the next time I put my PC to sleep/off.

Is this normal? Does Steam always need the controller to be completely removed and reconnected to the PC every time? I can't imagine that's normal.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Paired means the computer knows the device. Connected means it is actively communicating with the device.

If you put your PC to sleep it will disconnect the bluetooth device. when you power the PC on, you just need to open Bluetooth and choose Connect to reconnect. Alternatively you should be able to wake the PC and power on the controller and it should automatically connect.

If it is not doing that, try updating your bluetooth driver.

I think that's as designed. Normally bluetooth devices won't reconnect after pc shuts down and restarts. As far as going to sleep, you either may need to update the driver or go into power settings and make sure that pc won't shut power off to Bluetooth when sleeping.

Back