Slow transfer speeds on 2.5Gbe network?

CamasTony

I have a simple NAS with a 2.5Gbe port (Minisforum UN100D with NVME SSD drive), a 2.5Gbe network switch, and 2.5Gbe ports in both of our computers. Everything is connected with high quality Cat6 cables, my computer is 3' from the switch, my wife's computer is about 12' from the switch, and the NAS is right next to the switch. The adapter lights on both computers confirm they are linked at 2.5Gbe.

When copying a large file (such as a 5GB video file) my wife gets around 250Mbps moving a file TO or FROM the NAS.

On my computer I get around 250Mbps moving the file FROM the NAS, but only around 160Mbps moving the file back TO the NAS?

I've tried moving cables around, using different cables, updating the drivers, restarting everything, etc. We're both running Windows 10.

My 2.5Gbe port is an Intel version on the MSI motherboard. I even tried installing a TP Link 2.5Gbe ethernet adapter, but only got around 130-140 Mbps transfers each way with that one (worst than the built-in port on my motherboard).

Any ideas why my wife's computer transfers files at 250Mbps both ways, but I'm limited to 160Mbps when sending?

What drive is in it? That leg just says 'nas write speed' to me. Also your units seem to be mixing up bits and bytes.

All three computers are running NVME SSD's, so drive speeds are not the limiting factor.

I also don't think the NAS or the network switch are the problem as my wife gets full 250MBps transfers both ways on her computer. It's only my computer that is slower sending data to the NAS.

Yes, Ethernet speeds are in bits - 2.5G BITS per second, but Windows shows transfer speeds in bytes - 250M BYTES per second. I probably forgot to capitalize the "b" in some references, but I understand the difference.

While I understood you were referring to bytes in a SMB transfer, use consistent units, it makes your points more easy to articulate.

There's other conditions of storage you aren't considering or aware of, but it's interesting that you summarize 'lol its nvme'. The drive in your PC could be cheap ass garbage, they aren't all made the same or to the same performance target. You refused to answer when asked what drives they were or addressing what other components you have as you're basically scoffing at the premise.

There aren't many layers to this, best of luck.

I don't understand the confusion over bits/bytes. The only bits I mentioned was the 2.5 gb/s ethernet speed. Everything else is the MB per second transfer speeds in Windows.

The NAS is a Minisforum UN100D with a N100 processor and a Crucial 4TB NVME Hard Drive, running Open Media Vault. That drive tested over 3300 MB/s in my laptop before I moved it to the NAS.

My computer is an i5-11400 on an MSI motherboard with a Western Digital SN770 2TB data drive, and a WD SN770 256GB boot drive, running Windows 10. Both of my drives test over 3300 MB/s read and write speeds with Crystal Disk Mark.

My wife's computer is a Beelink SER5 with an AMD processor and a Samsung EVO 2TB drive, also running Windows 10. Her drive also tests somewhere around the 3300 MB/s range, though I don't have the actual benchmark at the moment.

Again, I highly doubt the drive speeds are the limiting factor, as my wife can read/write data to the NAS at full speed. I can also read data from the NAS at full speed, only writing TO the NAS is slow. The problem appears to be isolated to something on my computer.

I don't understand the confusion over bits/bytes. The only bits I mentioned was the 2.5 gb/s ethernet speed. Everything else is the MB per second transfer speeds in Windows.
bits is lower case b. Bytes is in upper case B. You've been mixing and matching in your original post which is why there was confusion.

What switches are you using?

Back