RAID 1 and changing motherboard

wireman

I have a desktop PC running Linux Debian 11.

The motherboard is an MSI B550-A PRO, the CPU is a Ryzen 5 5600x and the RAM is 2 x 8 GB corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz. There are two 1 TB hard drives in a software RAID 1 configuration.

I am thinking of changing the motherboard, CPU and RAM because of problems with some difficult to diagnose errors when
running the PC. I would change to a motherboard, CPU and RAM with the same manufacturer and model as currently used.

However, it has occurred to me that I could easily lose access to the data on the RAID 1 drives when moving to the new motherboard. Has anyone any thoughts, please, as to how I can preserve access to the data on the RAID 1 drives (preferably without needing to make a backup copy of the data to another drive, given the great deal of time needed to make a backup).

beers

Staff member
If it's a 'mdadm' type of RAID then you should be able to swap whatever platforms.

Years ago I ran md raid 5 on a bunch of drives and swapped to different hardware platforms, you'd just need to run a mdadm scan type of command in the new environment and they should populate.