How I can figure out what went wrong with my recovered win 10 installation?

It was a new install, and it hung after a few days. I had to do a lot of reboots and by the time I had windows working again, I had lost any data on the drive; however the windows update history was still intact.

Oddly it seems I have a slightly different version of windows 10 now, I have a password again on bootup rather than a pin and other things too. How come? Thanks.

Gonna need more information than just that. How did you do a recovery? And what do you mean by a slightly different version of 10? This makes no sense.

I installed win 10 home on a new SSD. It had slightly different features to my last install on a failed HDD even though the updates were recent. they were the same OS, so even that doesnt make sense to me. Then it fails to boot after couple days on the OS, the OS detects there is a problem and it tells me it needs me to put an ethernet cable back in to the PC while it DL's something. Thats how it recovers itself. I once again have slightly different features.

what Build did you have installed on the old one, what build did you install on the new one? That will determine what features comes with that build. If its physically telling you to plug in an ethernet cable when you obviously have a wifi connection then that don't sound right. When you signed back in did you use your ms account? Usually you have to use your password first and then setup the pin you want to use. You can even now remove password and pin from being entered and boot straight to desktop screen. Which is the way I do it.

Seems there is still some missing info somewhere.

The old HD had the latest updates, so shouldnt it be the latest build? No idea what build. The new feature was the 'meet now' auto loading app and the pin rather than pword, it reverted to a pword after repairing itself.

I dont have a wifi connection, but surprised that windows is even capable of using the internet when its repairins something before even loading properly.

Anyway, was just curious, its running fine atm. I have bigger problems like trying to figure out why my refurbished storage drive isnt being detected. Probably DOA, trying to figure out what revision of my MB I have so I can see it updating the bios is the problem!

This seems weird from a user action perspective and excessively convoluted.

Back