Help with overheating, pc switching off? AMD FM2 ITX Win 10

kefflon

Hi,

I'm putting together a small 15-liter PC from old parts and a Packard Bell mini ITX case. I managed to install Windows 10 and a few Adobe programs, but now it shuts down very quickly. It could be within a minute or less.

Initially, I thought the problem was the fan at the back; I had installed it the wrong way around, so it was blowing in instead of out. But now I have turned it around.

I think the issue started when I tried to secure the cooler better on the processor. It was loose at first because the brackets weren't the right ones, so I tried tightening it with small zip ties. Could it be that it’s poorly seated and getting overheated?

I’ve tried reinstalling Windows, but it doesn’t get far before it shuts down again. How should I best troubleshoot this?

Specs for the PC:

• Motherboard: AMD ASROCK FM2A85X-ITX
  • CPU: AMD A10-6800K CPU A10-Series Quad-Core 4.1GHz 4M 100W Socket FM2
  • RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB (2x8GB) / 2400MHz / DDR3 / CL11 / HX324C11SRK2/16
  • PSU: SilverStone 450w SFX form
  • Fans: Front Corsair 120mm, rear Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM 60mm, AMD CPU cooler
  • GPU: None yet, 240mm slot available
111.jpg

Could it be that the cooling is not enough for this 100w cpu? The fan is on the top picture. Would it help if i mount a

Noctua NF-B9-1600 92mm on top of the heatsink instead? I think it blows more air than the amd one.​

Gotcha the original image didn't have one so I was envisioning someone zip tying the fan to the CPU and wondering why it was failing.

Is that supposed to be mounted? It looks upside down

You were actually almost right. I zip tied the heat sink and fit the fan on top. Then i removed the zip ties, and made brackets to make it fit. Oh my god, did i put it upside down? I feel sorry for my components.

Last edited:
First of all you need the correct heatsink fan. The heatsink actually looks like its upside down which is wrong. If you have to put zipties on there than thats wrong as well, should be no zip ties holding the heatsink fan down. Is there thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink? So many failures here.

Thank you. The AMD fan and the heatsink belong together. I must have turned the heatsink upside down while i took them apart. Yes i put thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink. But the fittings are diy, maybe not the best to apply an even pressure, ill add a picture.

IMG_3797.jpeg

i want to find a heatsink that fits without having to diy it. The plastic mountings in the motherboard surrounding the cpu has hooks on them. This heatsink on the picture below is supposed to fit FM2, or they call it AM2. Can this be right for my FM2 socket? Thanks for the advice guys, im new to this.

Attachments

• IMG_3798.png
    IMG_3798.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 0
i want to find a heatsink that fits without having to diy it. The plastic mountings in the motherboard surrounding the cpu has hooks on them. This heatsink on the picture below is supposed to fit FM2, or they call it AM2. Can this be right for my FM2 socket? Thanks for the advice guys, im new to this.
I don't think they are the same, its been so long since I've dealt with those 2 sockets. Please get the correct heatsink/fan.

I found a

Corsair H55 RGB​

Cooler now, will post an update here. Its only know i discovered cpu coolers have backplates. Will probably make the cooler fit better than zip ties or diy brackets

Its only know i discovered cpu coolers have backplates.
Only a good aftermarket will have backplates. Anything else does not. FM2 just requires the clip and the latch to tighten it down, such as this one.

614LM4MvOlL._SX522_.jpg

The clip is part of the bracket including the backplate.
I know but just saying that prebuilt already come with the backplate on it basically along with aftermarket motherboards. If you want a good aftermarket cooler then you'll likely have to remove existing backplate to put on new one. In his scenario he'll likely just need to buy something like I posted, however when I was building FM2 pc's they ran kinda hot so he might want an aftermarket cooler and replace the backplate.

He already sorted it out, but it seems that was the missing piece so he'd have nothing to clip to, hence the zip ties.

Back