Deciding which computer to buy for architecture major

Nick5161

Hi!

I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to computers and what all the technical jargon means. This is my college's list of recommended computers to buy for my architecture major, and I was decided upon the Dell "New Precision 5490 Workstation". I know laptops are not as fast as desktops, but I would like the portability. However, after talking to some upper-years, I've been told that there are much, much cheaper options that provide the same amount of power. One older friend recommended the "MSI Raider GE76 Gaming Laptop" and says he's had no problems with it so far. Plus its about $2,000 cheaper than the dell.

Are there any other laptops I should be looking at to save lots of money? And I realize this is the pettiest gripe ever, but are there any that aren't covered in RGB lights (not very professional looking, and I'll still have it after college).

Thanks so much in advance!

I'd probably get something with a decent nvidia GPU, most apps are designed around CUDA acceleration.

Even a 4060 would be suitable for coursework, unless you worked on large scale projects or wanted more gaming fps.

Back