Computer keeps telling me that I'm unplugging things from the rear audio jack

Cyalume

When I plug speakers into the rear audio jack on my custom-built desktop, every few minutes the sound will stop working, then it will claim I unplugged something, claim I plugged it back in, and then the sound starts working again. This is fairly frequent. The front jack does not have this problem.

I assume with board you have the sounds is realtek hd audio ?

You may just need to adjust the settings in realtek hd audio manager.

Yes, I do have Realtek HD Audio Manager. Which settings do I adjust? This has been a real pain.

As I said earlier:

1) "You have unplugged"
2) Sound off
3) Sound on
4) "You have plugged in"

It couldn't be a hardware defect, could it? Its definitely a problem with Realtek HD? I did try installing the lastest Realtek audio drivers.

What's wrong with just using the front jack if that one works? I know it's not like right thing to do...but it's a simple fix and it's a custom computer so you're probably not trying to sell it :p

Because its almost literally brand new (I've had it not even 2 months now), so it shouldn't be having any problems like this straight out of the box.

I downloaded those drivers, problem still persisted. Apparently the only way to fix it is to disable the front audio jack detection, which is absurd. I just want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my actual hardware so that I can RMA it ASAP if there is.

I have no problem with my settings so start with them and go from there.

Go into realtek manager, go to advanced settings and set both playback and recording to the top option.

Then go into the folder symbol just below and untick both boxes.

Done, problem persists.

Also to note, the popular fix of disabling the front panel detection isn't working, mainly because this is an issue with the rear panel. When something is plugged into the front, it works fine. In the back, it cuts in and out.

You may be looking at a hardware problem, do you have soundcard or access to one you could borrow to test with ?

Negative. I have, however, tested multiple audio devices (earphones and speakers) in both the rear port and the front panel port, and the issue only occurs when things are plugged into the rear port.

If you have update your drivers and checked realtek hd settings, it does look most likely a hardware fault.

Are all your other system drivers up to date just in case ?

Go to your Realtek Audio Manger. Click the little folder on the upper right side. Uncheck the Auto popup dialog when a device has been plugged in. See if that helps.

Did that. Amazingly, this didn't stop the popups from appearing. Its still giving me the "Audio device has been unplugged" messages and still killing my audio, even though that box is unchecked and front-panel detection is disabled.

Sounds like you have certainly got a faulty audio port on your motherboard, you may need either a new motherboard or just add a sound card.

Newegg says that I'm not eligible for a return RMA because 30 days have passed since I made the purchase. I've contacted Gigabyte directly via support ticket at http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw

Now what can I do? Just wait?

Last edited:
That`s just ridiculous, every supplier i have used accept warranty returns up to 1 year.

aagjn9.jpg

This is what I'm going off of. This is my first custom built computer that I've done, so I may be overlooking something.

EDIT: Even with Realtek Audio HD Manager completely shut off, the problem still occurs. It has to be something wrong with the drivers/BIOS/actual jack itself, not the HD manager, sadly.

Last edited:
Back