Can someone identify this PC card?

johnnyb58

I'm helping my grandson build a new gaming desktop computer and he has some parts from his old computer that I have no idea what they are, Anyway he has this card in the attached photo that I think might be a WIFI or Bluetooth card, but I just don't know. The more I think about it, the more I believe it's a WIFI card missing the antinas

Attachments

• 20240620_112658.jpg
    20240620_112658.jpg
    711 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240620_112642.jpg
    20240620_112642.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
That is a wireless card.

B905C with the Intel 8265 chip so you can get drivers from Intel if you can get the antennas or just buy a new wifi card.

That is a wireless card.

B905C with the Intel 8265 chip so you can get drivers from Intel if you can get the antennas or just buy a new wifi card.
Thanks for your help, I mentioned it to my grandson so ordered new antennas for it before I even knew what he was doing. He said it cost him $15, but after I on checked it I found you can buy a whole new card with the antennas for that much. Oh well I hope it was worth it although I don't know how good the original card is.

Hmm the wireless card on that board is supposedly for HP Pavilion 15 laptop... It seems to be an .ac 5GHz product.

But yeah, I would recommend an USB adapter so it can be used it in other machines if needed if you are going to by new one.

Hmm the wireless card on that board is supposedly for HP Pavilion 15 laptop... It seems to be an .ac 5GHz product.

But yeah, I would recommend an USB adapter so it can be used it in other machines if needed if you are going to by new one.
Not really, a lot of desktop wifi cards use those mini pcie cards now instead of using soldered chips.

Not sure if i would use a usb wifi card for a desktop unless its a specific requirement.

which MSI motherboard is that? (model number)
Its a MSI B550 GAMING PLUS 911-7c56-2002304009557.
His friend who helped him select everything said that the MSI GFORCE rt GRAPHICS card has a built in WIFI circuit, but I've never heard of that before.

Its a MSI B550 GAMING PLUS 911-7c56-2002304009557.
His friend who helped him select everything said that the MSI GFORCE rt GRAPHICS card has a built in WIFI circuit, but I've never heard of that before.
I've never heard of a video card having built in wifi. Either the motherboard will have built in wifi or you need a dedicated wifi card or usb wifi.

I've never heard of a video card having built in wifi. Either the motherboard will have built in wifi or you need a dedicated wifi card or usb wifi.
Yeah, it's been 10 years since I've built computers so I wasn't sure if they were doing things different these days. I don't know this kid my grandson is talking to, but supposedly he just finished building one for himself

Well that's unfortunate. That board doesn't have wifi built in - quite a lot of mobos nowadays do.

Yeah that seems to be the way. Also to expand on it, usb wifi sticks are awful. Don't use them.
I'm going to order him a new WIFI CARD because I don't believe his friend knows what he's talking about. His moms house and my place only have WIFI and I'm sure he's going to be playing online

I wouldn't worry about the card too much, it's still AC which is relatively decent. I think it's an Intel 8265. If you wanted to verify the specific chip you could remove the black bit covering the label, or you could even throw a different more recent card in there like a BE200 for wifi7. The card housing itself is just to extend a PCIE lane to the module in the m.2 form factor.

Back