Building a NEW PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The VCR King

After doing research and talking to people in other threads, we've determined that my motherboard is screwed and as of now I am researching parts to build a new PC. Here is my plan:
BUILDING A NEW PC:

Re-use:
Case
CPU cooler
TV tuner
Power supply
RAM sticks
SSD (format)
HDD (reinstall Windows on the SSD and keep files from Windows.old on the HDD or a backup)

Sell:
Video card
Memory card reader
Hotswap drive bays
BD-ROM drive

Buy new:
Motherboard
Processor
Video card
Case fans
BD-RE drive
Memory card reader
SATA cables

Throw out/burn/hit with an ax:
Old motherboard
Memory card reader

Keep as spare parts:
Old SATA cables
Newer old(replaced) case fans
--
Going further into detail of my plan:
Dust out the case and install fan filters

Replacing all my case fans because a few have burned bearings and failed and I replaced them with whatever I could afford at the time and it's all mismatched now. Probably going to get Aerocool SHARK fans because I have one on my 140mm side fan and it moves a lot of air.

Replacing my memory card reader because the one I have now I bent all the pins in the CF slot because there wasn't the little slots in the side to guide in the CF card straight to the pins.

Replacing my SATA cables because I have a red cable, a white one, and a black one, and it ruins my blue color scheme. Getting UV blue sata cables.

I don't know if I will actually end up selling my old 6950 or not. I might keep it around for a spare or beefing up an older PC I have.

If you're going to build a new and modern rig, you'll be buying something with DDR4 RAM so you won't be able to reuse your current RAM.

Replacing my SATA cables because I have a red cable, a white one, and a black one, and it ruins my blue color scheme. Getting UV blue sata cables.
Your motherboard will come with new cables.

If you're going to build a new and modern rig, you'll be buying something with DDR4 RAM so you won't be able to reuse your current RAM.

Your motherboard will come with new cables.
Okay. I don't want to spend the money on DDR4 though. I don't run really intense games and I don't want to spend a totally stupid amount of cash either. I'm doing this as a budget build. :) I know that AM3 is a dying socket but its what I can afford and it suits my needs.

Okay. I don't want to spend the money on DDR4 though. I don't run really intense games and I don't want to spend a totally stupid amount of cash either. I'm doing this as a budget build. :) I know that AM3 is a dying socket but its what I can afford and it suits my needs.

DDR4 is very affordable.. you can get 16GB (2 x 8GB) G-Skill Ripjaw V for like $60 on newegg... thats pretty cheap man

And ya...DONT go with AM3...its done..toast..finito..

Go with a nice Skylake based build.. the i5 6th gen are awesome!

There's no point suggesting anything at all until you have the money. By the time you have anywhere near enough money for a new rig with the spec you want, what we suggest now will be outdated especially given you want a new CPU, board and GPU which change all the time.

Decide on a budget for all of your new parts and work to getting that money, then we can talk about what to buy when you have the money.

Seriously I have a friend who started looking for a new rig in December 2011. My initial build for him featured something like an i5 2500K and a GTX 560 Ti. Now, some 4 or 5 years later, he's after something like an i7 6700K and a GTX 980 Ti but having submitted a new build to him every new Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU generation I've told him that this time he has to just get the money first and then buy whatever is best at the time. He has a job now and I've told him just to wait for the next generation Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. ;)

So, don't be like him: just save up and wait and save us configuring you a new setup for each new generation. :D

Until he gets a job or his folks step up or he robs a bank (dont do the latter), this "I'm building a new rig" is going to just be a fantasy and a waste of time making these weekly proclamations.

Seriously I have a friend who started looking for a new rig in December 2011. My initial build for him featured something like an i5 2500K and a GTX 560 Ti. Now, some 4 or 5 years later, he's after something like an i7 6700K and a GTX 980 Ti but having submitted a new build to him every new Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU generation I've told him that this time he has to just get the money first and then buy whatever is best at the time. He has a job now and I've told him just to wait for the next generation Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU. ;)

So, don't be like him: just save up and wait and save us configuring you a new setup for each new generation. :D
Well I first talked about a high end build in 2013, and got it done by 2016. But I agree, he should come back when he has the money. My build is completly different than what I wanted back then.

Yes, come back when you have the money. Closing this as no sense in keeping it open so this doesn't get off track.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back