Access Point Suggestions. (?)

Gregavi

Hi, I have an ARRIS Surfboard Docsis 3.1 Cable Modem and a TP Link Wifi 6 AX1500 Smart WiFi Router (Archer AX10) – 802.11ax Router. I'm looking to upgrade my Wi-Fi throughout my house and down to my Tiny House that's in my backyard about 70 feet away from the main house. I have CAT 5 running to the living room from the Modem and router location (Laundry Room) and Cat 6 running from the living room to the Tiny House. Wi-Fi mostly used for streaming on a Roku device and browsing the internet (in both locations). I'm using old routers (2 different brands) as APs currently. One in the living room and one in the Tiny House. I think I have them configured correctly but the Wi-Fi signal is shaky in both location. I'm also using the router in the living room as a switch. I have several things 'ethernet wired' to it. Music server, Media server etc. along with the router in the Tiny House which is wired to it.

I'm looking for suggestions on what new equipment I should get to replace the old routers and if there is a better way to configure what I'm trying to achieve. I'm looking at replacing the old router with (2) TP-Link AC1200 WiFi Router (Archer A54) - Dual Band Wireless Internet Router, 4 x 10/100 Mbps.
These routers have AP mode. Is this a good choice, and if not, what would be better a better choice? These are only about $25 ea. I'm willing to spend more, but would rather not if these would be adequate. Suggestions and advice are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't buy those, they only have 10/100 on the ethernet interface so will always be limited to 100 mbps for LAN clients or other segments like the tiny house. Make sure your wifi is on different channels on each leg otherwise they'll interfere with each other. Wifi shouldn't be shaky when you're next to the AP. The new routers would be a downgrade from the router you have.

I'd just stick an AP at the end of the tiny house side unless you need wired connections there too. Also keep in mind that outside copper runs increase your area for lightning strikes against your equipment.

Thanks beers. I bought a TP-Link AX1800 and will use it as an AP at the living room location to see how it goes. I'll add an AP to the Tiny House soon.
Note: The ethernet from the living room to the Tiny House is buried the entire run with direct bury CAT 6.

For the Tiny House I bought a Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk. I'm still waiting for the TP Link AX1800 to arrive. It should be here today. I configured and connected the Netgear in the Tiny House and it seems to be working really well. So far, so good.

Back