Erased Hard Drive

JonMykal

Hello. I have a laptop that had Windows 10...I think. Regardless, I wanted to “start over”,and eliminate anything that might have been bogging it down. My son said to erase the c drive and reinstall windows. Anyways, I’m now looking at a Dell Latitude 5421 that wants to install a bios thing. I really don’t want to spend a fortune having a tech to get it right, I know I can get this right if someone was willing to help me. Thank you in advance!

JonMykal

Thank you voyagerfan99 for this link.

I got to stopping point with the installation where it called for selecting drive “0” under the heading “select the driver to install”. I receive a message saying “no signed device drivers to install were found. Make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers”.

Any suggestions? Thank you!!!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a screenshot of when this message pops up? I don't think you should be getting that message unless there is a wrong setting in the bios. This laptop is only a few years old right? Shouldn't need to install sata drivers. What kind of drive are you install it to? SSD or just SATA mechanical?

Couriant

To add to JohnB's questions, do you have the Service Tag handy?

When it comes to reinstallations, you can use the MS Windows Tool, or you can use the Dell's OS Recovery Tool, which can be found here (Direct link). The difference between the two is that the Dell Recovery Tool will also have the drivers for the machine, and some other Dell applications, while Windows Tool will just be standard Windows.

To do the Dell Recovery Tool, you will need an unused USB Drive that is 16GB minimal in size (an 8GB may work). The setup will erase the contents of the USB Drive to create the installation files.

You can run this program on any computer, but you will need the Service Tag. If you do not see it on the bottom of the machine, you can find it in the BIOS - first screen.

The installation setup will prompt you for the Windows to create, which should be Windows 10. If it allows Windows 11, then I would recommend that.

Once created, you would use the USB drive in the Dell machine and restart, then press F12 until the Boot Menu shows so you can select the USB Drive.