Asus UX310E Desktop Flashing / Refreshing

R1_Cg

Hi Guys,

Wounder if anyone could shed any light on my issue please.

I have a Asus Notebook which is my wife's old laptop, only been using it for my 3D printer software etc. It's been absolutely fine it has always struggled with updating windows for some reason it would run the update and then on start up mention there was an issue and its reverting back. Apart from that never had an issue.

Turning on and the password page are all fine with no issues, but as soon as the desktop has loaded the screen flashes/refreshes ! It's doing my head in, you are not able to click on anything as it's refreshing constantly.

I've tried using a command to restart but because of the update issue I get the blue screen of doom and it reverts back.

If anyone could help that would be great please even if it's something I haven't tried yet.

Thanks again Charlie

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a corrupted video driver to start out with. Can you boot to safe mode? If you can uninstall current driver along with the driver software and then boot back to normal mode and see if it happens. It also sounds like its time to do a fresh install of windows since updates won't go through.

beers

Staff member
If you're getting BSOD there's probably another issue like RAM throwing errors, that would also give you the 'failed update' type of behavior. It probably has an iGPU which shares system RAM.

You can try a linux live usb to delineate between hardware and software, I'd at least run a pass or two of memtest86+

I think that might have 4G of soldered RAM, if you have an expansion DIMM installed I'd take it out to test, otherwise if it throws errors with just that then it's probably toast.

R1_Cg

Sounds like a corrupted video driver to start out with. Can you boot to safe mode? If you can uninstall current driver along with the driver software and then boot back to normal mode and see if it happens. It also sounds like its time to do a fresh install of windows since updates won't go through.
Thank you for replying mate.

So somehow out of sheer luck I managed to update windows wish I knew how all I was doing was holding down keys in order to get to safe mode! (Struggled getting onto safe mode so tried 1000 things)

I've got onto safe mode but even there the screen is the same so unable to click on anything.

Using CMD via task manager, I've tried doing what you said with the video driver which makes sense but finding the correct wording for it is hard, I've uninstalled what I think is correct but still the same.

Definitely got to be the video driver like you said as a error loading message popped up whilst it was shutting down ! "Cofire"

Think it's time for a repair guy or the wall

Thank you again for your help.

R1_Cg

If you're getting BSOD there's probably another issue like RAM throwing errors, that would also give you the 'failed update' type of behavior. It probably has an iGPU which shares system RAM.

You can try a linux live usb to delineate between hardware and software, I'd at least run a pass or two of memtest86+

I think that might have 4G of soldered RAM, if you have an expansion DIMM installed I'd take it out to test, otherwise if it throws errors with just that then it's pro

Thank you beers.

It's weird because today it updated windows. I've googled the Linux live you mentioned as I wasn't sure what this was but from my understanding I would need it somewhat working to use this function. It is sounding very very toasty to me lol I sometimes can work this kinda stuff out but I'm wasting evenings and seeing a flashy screen is doing wonders for my eyes.

Appreciate the help guys

Couriant

A LiveUSB of Linux (I prefer Ubuntu) is an installation of Linux on a USB drive. There is an option to use Linux before installing, that way you can test the computer without having to install the OS. It is a handy tool to have. I had to confirm the laptop keyboard was indeed failing, or was it something in Windows that is causing the issue. (it was the keyboard).